5 Ways to Respond to God Calling, Have you ever thought about God’s calling on your life? Does the prospect of God using you seem so intimidating that you can’t possibly see it working outright? Are you still contemplating how you would even pull off what He has put in your heart?
I can tell you, years ago, I was in your shoes. I clearly heard from God: “You will speak in my name.” And yet, all the details were not truly revealed at that time. He gave me just enough to know that what He was speaking to me was His assignment for me. Not my friends, not my neighbor, but little ol’ 5’2” me.
And yes, I was filled with self-doubt. But my doubts didn’t surround what God could do, rather they were a reflection of my inability to conceive how I would carry it out.
“Lord, my background has been in nursing. I know I lead a small group on Friday nights, but that is only eight to ten people, and most of them are close friends at this point. I have no degree in theology. There are still scriptures I have a hard time interpreting.”
So why would a big and powerful God use mixed-up, broken people like you and I to carry out some really great things in His name? Simply put – relationship. God is all about relationship, and we were created for relationship with God and with others.
Relationship doesn’t occur in isolation. It is a give and take, a back and forth, an exchange of thoughts, feelings, and actions. When strong, healthy relationships are in place –us and God, us and others –big things do happen!
Our relationships are the vehicle God uses to help us fulfill the calling on our life. And although everyone has their own specific and unique way to contribute to that calling, our joint efforts help to carry out the overall calling that God has given the followers of Christ:
Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations [help the people to learn of Me, believe in Me, and obey My words], baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Matt. 28:19 AMP
I hope some of the pieces of the puzzle are starting to fall into place for you now. And as you are considering all of this, let’s talk about some practical ways we can answer God’s call on our life:
- Love God. We can’t be disconnected from the power source and expect anything to happen. So the first thing we must do is check in on our relationship with God.
Jesus replied, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’” Matt. 22:37 NLT
- Pray consistently. If you want God to provide further details on your assignment over time, there has to be an ongoing dialogue with Him. That’s what prayer is all about.
Never stop praying. 1 Thess. 5:17 NLT
- Know why we do what we do. Several times in the Bible, we are commanded to love. Love our neighbors, love our enemies, and simply to love others. We can do this only within the context of these words written by John:
We love each other because he loved us first. 1 John 4:19 NLT
- Be brave. When we go out in Jesus’ name, we never go out alone. One of the most gracious things the Lord does in scripture is to remind us over and over not to be afraid. My favorite go-to verse when I feel dread creeping in is:
For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline. 2 Tim. 1:7 NLT
- And lastly, praise Him for the end result (even if we don’t see it). We don’t always get to see the immediate result of our work for Christ, but we can count on our efforts contributing to His overall plan and that His will – will.be.done!
With all my heart I will praise you, O Lord my God. I will give glory to your name forever. Ps. 86:12 NLT
Were you expecting something different? Perhaps a more scholarly discussion. Nope! It really isn’t necessary. One thing we need to remember is God simply asks that we ‘do.’ When we obey His instructions, He does all the heavy lifting. None of us can change another person’s heart, only Jesus can do that. But praise Him that we get to be a part of the process.
heard that sigh of relief you just let out! That’s great!
hope the weight of the world has been removed from your shoulders, and you are ready to roll up your sleeves and get busy. No doubt, there’s a lot of work to do. But when we take practical steps: love God, pray consistently, remember why we do what we do, be brave, and praise Him for the end result, the work goes much smoother!
Cbl Media would love to hear from you! What has God called you to do? What part of this writing really blessed you? Which area(s) do you need to work on so that the load seems lighter?
More to Read: Read Hot article that will Make you a better Entrepreneur All in CblBusiness
This Content is a Partnered Content: With TGM